AfrII Vital Signs members participating in a discussion about research in the Process of Science short course class. This short course is conducted by Professor Mark P. Simmons, a visiting Fulbright Scholar from Colorado State University.
The short course contributes to AfrII’s Capacity Building Programme in which our scientists and, or staff are to benefit in various areas including skills development in research among others.
The topics to be discussed in this class include;
1. Ten simple rules for aspiring scientists in a low-income country
2. How simple ideas lead to scientific discoveries
3. Limitations of statistical analyses and problems with reproducibility
4. A guide to academia: how people in science see each other
5. Building and maintaining a scientific reputation
6. Why knowledge for the pure sake of knowing is good enough to justify scientific research
7. Interception of politics and science
8.Ten simple rules for choosing between industry and academia